Friday, April 12, 2013

Quiapo and Binondo revisited


So, my friends and I finally set out to rediscover Binondo three Saturdays ago.  My husband who was driving for us surprised us by heading towards Quaipo for a quick stop at two famous stores along Carlos Palanca Street (formerly Echague Street ).  First  stop: Kim Chiong Tin Hopia Factory.

For me, no trip to Quiapo is complete without hopia from Kim Chiong Tin, the hopia of my youth.  I grew up knowing and loving it even as I lived miles away from Manila.  My late father who used to frequent Manila at that time never failed to bring home a box or two of this famous Filipino pastry, the hopia monggo,  filled with a generous heaping  of mung bean paste.


fresh, hot and  flaky hopia monggo

How can you miss ( and  ignore ) Kim Chiong Tin's next- door- neighbor, the timeless Excelente Ham? Sliced, bone-in, boneless or scrap ham, the savory smell  pulls you to its premises.


More eats on the rack:


I wanted to scour the whole stretch for some cookware but we hardly had time. Then I saw this boy, " chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping on your nose... " and my thoughts wandered off to many Christmases past.. Suddenly, I was missing my mother and my mother-in-law who both loved  freshly-roasted chestnuts.  I went nearer to smell the aroma and reminisced for a moment. Those were the days.


.

On the same stretch: some familiar  Filipino breakfast fare. Must be prepared with fried rice, of course.






That's only a fraction of  what Quiapo is all about.  I shalll be back soon to check out what's new in my favorite beadshop,  go to Quiapo church and buy some stuff at Quinta market then pick some handicrafts at  Ils- de- Tuls  ( Ilalim ng Tulay).

As to our main destination  Binondo, we  explored  Ongpin Street, bought foodstuff and ate to our heart's content.

Healthy options:


Eureka!  Braised duck cooked on the spot.



Voila! A veritable feast.


More familiar Binondo scenes and chow:

natural charms and crystals


Bargains and haggling at 168.





No comments:

Post a Comment